|The Community Enrichment office has moved...visit us at the Administration Building located at 3120 Lemay Ferry Road.|
The Mehlville School District began its educational journey in 1930 with the graduation of two students from Mehlville High School. Under the apt direction of its first two superintendents, Emil C. Bernard and Kermit O. Bierbaum (1935-1976), the District began its growth to the current prominent educational status it now enjoys and maintains. Successive superintendents have strived to maintain the extensive educational opportunities afforded to students.
The District first consisted of smaller educational entities; however, on Oct. 27, 1951, the citizens of the Oakville, Mehlville, Point and Washington areas voted for consolidation of their schools into one reorganized high school district. The new district became the Mehlville R-9 District. Years later, the R-9 was dropped, and it became known as the Mehlville School District.
After experiencing rapid growth in enrollment at the elementary and secondary levels, bus transportation was introduced into the area in 1951 and the need for educational space was apparent. Bernard and Bierbaum Elementary Schools were built to accommodate this early growth in student population.
On May 11, 1964, the Mehlville School District voted to annex the Jefferson Barracks School District. In 1964, ground was broken for a new elementary school. The new school was named in honor of Henry Trautwein. In 1956, the district received the official title to 45 acres formerly part of the Veterans Administration Hospital Reservation at Jefferson Barracks; the land is now home to Beasley Elementary School. Wohlwend Elementary School opened in 1969.
Oakville High School offered its first courses in secondary education in September 1970. At that time Oakville High School was a Ninth Grade Center housed at the Jefferson Barracks Building until it moved into its present building.
Currently, the Mehlville School District consists of one early childhood center, 10 elementary schools, four middle schools, two high schools, along with additional alternative learning programs. The progress of the Mehlville School District can be measured not only in growth but also by the improvements of its educational programs. The District is accredited by the State Board of Education and has received the state’s prestigious Distinction in Performance award for the last six years.